Stage 2: Barcelona – Valencia

seguimos trabajando...

working on it…

Barcelona – 28th October, 2012


The biggest inconvenience of this adventure (or madness, depending how you look at it) is that it’s just impossible to just take a break between chores to go for a ride. Well, in fact that is exactly what I do, but with the small detail that it takes me roughly ten hours just to get to my bike, and when I do, the countdown starts for my return flight home. It is a major bother, but if it’s the only way, then so be it. As my Tex-Mex pals, say: “No make no le hace tu meee”. 


As usual, I boarded the Emirates B777 to Barcelona really early in the morning, around 6am, and that is good because that way I have no problem sleeping for most of the flight, which in winter can be up to eight hours. The time that I don’t sleep I spend recharging the cameras, reviewing my maps and the Lonely Planet guide to find what kind of interesting stuff I just should not miss.

Planning is a big part of the fun for me in these trips, checking out my lodging options and make the bookings (absolutely NO CAMPING), check out my train connections if any, etc. In this aspect, my worst and most feared enemy is not the weather but the weekends, especially the DAMN SUNDAYS, because in Europe everything is closed, particularly the stuff you really need. My debut to this adventure on this trip is just that, since I’m arriving in Barcelona at midday I will not able to get my bike out of the Hispania Tours office until 7pm, and that only because Volker took pity on me and agreed to interrupt his Sunday to come and do me the favor of giving me my bike. That really sucks, and is something that I will keep in mind.


What this means is that I am having to spend six hours in my hotel room picking my nose and looking at my watch, when ideally what I would have wanted to do is to leave Barcelona immediately  and spend the night at some nice rural hotel out of town on the way to Valencia. Finally it is time to leave and I take the hotel shuttle to downtown. Since I had plenty of time (of course) I decided to take a long walk through the Paseo Maritime, and I quickly realized how much I had underestimated the cold wind in Barcelona in October. It was a major mistake to bring only a sport coat and a thin pair of trousers, as it only took two seconds for me to freeze my balls off.


Enjoying the “fresh” air (and freezing my balls off)

Finally Volker shows up and I get my bike, and by the time I got underway it was already dark. Something that i will never understand is the inability of people to give directions, particularly bad is the use of phrases such as ” Just around the corner”, “you can’t miss it”, or ” a couple of signals down the road”. This time was not the exception, and I lost over twenty minutes looking for my way out of the are towards the airport, while freezing to death. I finally was forced to stop and hook up the GPS, but of course I forgot my tools at the hotel and I cannot hook up the damn support I just bought to avoid the kind of dramas I had the last time. The end result is that the stupid support gave in every three minutes, and in order to see the GPS I had to stretch my neck to the side in a way that made me look like a Siamese contortionist right out of the Cirque du Soleil.

Monumento a Colón

Monumento to Columbus

After finding my way back towards the airport, missing my exit and getting a full tour of all terminals plus the freight area, I finally made it to the hotel. I immediately got packing and tried to leave everything ready for an early start the next day. This included the stupid suitcase I brought, what was I thinking!? It’s obvious that it is not yet clear to me that I’m travelling by motorcycle, DUH!

The planned itinerary includes a mix of Autovia and Nacionales, which are the normal smaller highways, a lunch stop in the city of Tarragona, and a stop at Tortosa to visit its castle. The main objective is to arrive in Valencia, go directly to the medieval towers of Serranos, ancient gate to the city back when it was walled.

The Grand Prize will be a massive Paella at some restaurant in the Paseo Maritimo. That, was the Master Plan, but as I have said before, a really clever guy by the name of Von Clausewitz, said that “No Plan Survives Contact”. With all this in mind, I fell asleep faster than I could think about it, and had a surprisingly good sleep considering how excited I was about the whole thing.

After a quick breakfast – by Spanish standards – I started off on time backtracking on the C-32 motorway, made a U-Turn and headed in the right direction stopped at the first gas station, filled up the tank, bought a Michelin map of Spain, and then tried to inflate the tires but found out that the compressor was kaputt, but didn’t think much of it, as the tires looked OK, (“so what, I’ll do it later…”) so I press on.

I pass the suburb of Casteldefells and a few tunnels that are extremely dark. This must be a cost-cutting measure by the tight-assed Spaniards to save on energy, me thinks, but after the last one I realise with deep embarrassment that the reason it’s so dark is because I have the sun visor down. There goes another opportunity to greatness. I see the signs for Vilanova… and ah! Repsol petrol station in sight! I stop and go straight to check the air compressor and it not only works, but it’s one of those nice ones, the kind you clip on to the valve and stays there, they’re brilliant and I love them. One second later when I hook it up, CRACK!! the valve snaps right before my eyes, followed by a long PHUUUFFFF sound effect when the tire deflates completely in only one nanosecond.

Otra vez con el maletón a bordo!

Carrying a coffin behind me, again.

Just like that and just that simply, after only twenty-five minutos on the road my journey goes to shit. I must confess that at that precise moment I wasn’t sure if to cry, laugh, or shit myself. Luckily no one was around to enjoy the stupefied look on my face as I just stood there steering at the bike.




The damn valve. It just snapped right off.

Yo creo que es culpa de estos tiempos y la tecnología, pero lo curioso es que en vez de usar el cerebro para tratar de resolver problemas lo que hacemos muchos hoy en día al tener un contratiempo es sacar de inmediato el teléfono móvil, aunque no se tenga ni puta idea a quien se le va a llamar. Dándome cuenta que eso precisamente estaba haciendo, regresé a sacar de la moto la tarjeta del seguro alemán de ADAC para llamarles, pero a la tercera opción del menu en alemán desistí, pues ya ni quiero imaginarme el explicarle el eventito ocurrido en Cataluña a un teutón medio dormido en Dusseldorf. Así que decidí mantener el problema en castellano y corrí a pedirle ayuda a la chica de la caja quien después de pensarlo unos segundos consultó una agenda más gruesa que la sección amarilla de Tokio, y me dió el número de una grúa de su confianza.

Y ahora??

Mi favorite sport: Waiting for the tow truck

Gracias a dios y a su entorno celestial había una cantidad de café ilimitada en el restaurante de la gasolinera, y las próximas dos horas de espera se fueron rápido. Javier, el conductor de la grúa, amabilísimo, dijo conocer un buen taller de motos en Vilanova, así que ahí fuímos.

Javier al rescate!

Javier to the rescue!

El lugar en cuestión se llama MAD GAS en el centro de Vilanova i La Geltrú, y qué majos son estos tíos! En un santiamén Santi y Moï hicieron de lado sus labores menores y auxiliaron al caído, su dictámen fué que era obvio que la válvula era la original y jamás había sido cambiada, y que era cuestión de poco tiempo para que sucediera esto. La suerte es que pasó parado en la gasolinera y no en despoblado, como era mi plan original, pues eso sí que hubiera estado divertido, sobretodo si la porquería de válvula se rompe mientras voy intentando emular a Kenny Roberts.


La reparación tomó algo más de una hora, y reanudé el viaje con casi cinco horas perdidas. Otra vez, tendré que perderme todo el paseo y quedarme en la autovía. Ah! y… ¿mencioné que tengo que llegar a Valencia antes de que cierre Dos Rodes, el concesionario donde se va a quedar la moto? Ya tengo todo organizado con ellos pero creo que cierran a las seis! Otra vez las putas prisas. No puede ser. En fin, volví a disfrutar de la moto y refinando aún más mi aprendizaje en autovía sin más contratiempos que algo de viento y digerir los sandwiches de otras dos gasolineras, llegué a los alrededores de Valencia.

Internando al paciente

Dragging the patient in for surgery


Moï in action

Como ya había aprendido mi lección de lo que pasa cuando no se le hace caso al GPS (ahora sí bien fijo al manillar), así que esta vez lo seguí mas fielmente que una mosca a la caca. Poco después de pasar Sagunt el buen instrumento me sacó de la comodidad de la AP-7 y me puso en medio de la CV-300, lo que significó entrar a Valencia por la ruta más directa, en lugar de la más rápida. Así me sopé los siguientes 20km disfrutando tráfico, rotondas, semáforos, y un panorama muy olvidable, hasta que llegué al centro de Valencia y sus rotondas.

Por fin en camino

Finally back on the road

Aaaahhhh las rotondas! Esas rotondas en Valencia han quedado grabadas en mi memoria, y no porque son muy grandes, sino porque al ponerse la luz en verde los autos y scooters me recordaron a las carreras de caballos, cuando salen los pura sangre disparados como por catapulta al abrirse las puertas, al estilo “sálvese el que pueda”.


Mr. Diego doing the deed

Dos Rodes se portó de maravilla, especialmente el asesor de servicio Diego Martínez, quien aparte de ser eficientísimo, es un absoluto caballero, y con la paciencia de un santo tomó nota de los trabajos a realizar en la Motorka, que incluían revisión de fluídos, el cambio de la válvula del neumático trasero, instalación de uno que otro accesorio y otros trabajillos cosméticos.


Destination at last

Y así culmina esta etapa, pasé una muy buena noche en el hotel AC Valencia y muy temprano tomé un taxi a la estación del AVE para el regreso a Barajas via Atocha, y emprender el regreso a Dubai. De nuevo un buen viaje sin sustos y cada vez aprendiendo más.


Quién dijo “yo”?

El premio al esfuerzo

Today’s reward: A beautiful Paella


The magnificent AVE high speed train


This is my last time with a suitcase

El interior del AVE, una maravilla

The “economy” cabin of the AVE, simply fantastic

El bus del avión a la terminal, en Dubai

The bus from the airplane to the terminal, Dubai International Airport

Cerrando con broche de oro - en taxi -.

What an end to this saga, in a Dubai taxi… BRACE!!

El resumen de las lecciones de esta etapa es casi idéntico a la anterior, obviamente no hice mucho al respecto:

  1. Evitar los domingos a como dé lugar. Dos días no bastan.
  2. Definitivamente las maletas y las motos NO combinan.
  3. El soporte del GPS a UN LADO del manillar no me gusta, pues hay que desviar la mirada del camino. A buscar otro.
  4. Hay que definir la ruta en el mapa y pasarla al GPS tal cual, para evitar sorpresitas después.
  5. Está decidido. Odio las ciudades grandes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s